Saturday, March 1, 2008

What is this all about?

My name is Erika and I am a teacher in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. I have been given the amazing opportunity to travel to Kampala, Uganda with a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization called Niteo Africa. We will be gone for two weeks at the end of July with two main goals to attain:

1. to put together a resource center for teachers and children
2. to observe, work with, and learn from teachers in Kampala schools

I can't believe my good fortune in being selected as one of 8 teachers to participate in this project.

As it is a "mission" project (although not a religious mission, it must be called a mission in order to get special flight status!), we are all allowed extra baggage to take on the flight. I am hoping to take two bags of books and sporting supplies to give to the children. Thanks so much for the generosity of my BookCrossing buddies who are already offering to send me books to take. You guys are awesome!

This trip is going to cost about $5000. Each participant is strongly encouraged to fundraise half and is obligated to pay half out of pocket. I have a couple of ideas for fundraising: selling notecards with photos from my trips to China, the Arctic, and Kampala as well as selling 2009 calendars with photos as well. I have not fundraised as an adult before so I am looking for ideas. Any suggestions? Thanks!

No comments: