Saturday, January 11, 2014

Ultra Moist Cake

It's Saturday afternoon and so I decided it was time to do some baking again. My "must use" ingredient for today was... Avocado. Our trees are laden with the fruit and we are trying to eat them as fast as Ediga picks them for us but there are times when we have some that are getting too soft to do much apart from guacamole and even guac becomes a bit repetitive.

My father always ate his avocado sweet, never savoury as we ate ours. Mum would make vinaigrette to put in the hole and I would scoop the flesh with a nice amount of dressing before popping it into my mouth. My father always saved his half for dessert where he would pour a little brandy into the hole and sprinkle the avocado with sugar.

So I searched for an avocado cake recipe. Most recipes with avocado are chocolate flavoured but I have no cocoa so I managed to find a recipe that worked with what I had. I now have measuring cups so the amounts are specific. I reduced the sugar and oil content by a third so if you want, you could add another 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup oil but I won't.

Here, I have discovered that there are many varieties of avocado and one is very sweet. However, for this recipe, I just used one that was very ripe from our tree, not worrying if it was a sweet or savoury variety.

Don't worry, the cake does not taste avocado-y and it does not stay green, despite the colour of the batter. It is really yummy and moist.




Avocado Cake

Preheat your oven. The recipe says to 375 degrees. I just heat it up on high then turn it down to the lowest gas level. Works for me.

Grease a rectangular pan.

2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup + 1 tbsp milk
1 very ripe avocado, mashed as smooth as possible
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

You are supposed to mix your dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. I leave that decision up to you. To me it makes too many dishes to wash.

Beat the eggs and sugar together with a fork so that they start to be a bit frothy. Beat in the vegetable oil. Add the avocado and mix until smooth then stir in the milk.

Add the dry ingredients 1/3 at a time. Fold together with a metal spoon. Don't over-mix.

Pour the green batter into your pan. Honestly, it won't be so green when it's baked.

Bake for 20 minutes. Check for doneness. I had to bake another 5 minutes.

The recipe suggests a cream cheese frosting. I think a lemon glaze (lemon juice and icing sugar mixed together and drizzled on top) would be yummy but I need to find icing sugar...

Corey says that once it is dryer it will be yummy with a white sauce made with milk, sugar and corn starch and served hot. If there is any cake left, we will try that later this week.

Be brave and try it! I'd love to get your feedback!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: