Sunday, June 22, 2014

Goodbye Little Darlings!

I cannot believe that the school year is actually over. I had to say goodbye to all my little darlings on Friday the 13th but I managed to convince Corey to subject himself to the little plague carriers and take my photo with all the classes.

This is Miss Mary's Kindergarten class. I did not have a lot to do with them because many of them didn't speak English and to be honest, a room full of 2 and 3 year olds terrifies me. They are certainly cute though and Ruby to my left chatted with me on a regular basis.


Do you remember this photo of Joy?

She cried every day for the whole month of February and often spent time in my office either sleeping on a mat or sniffling in my arms. She's the one in pink on my right (above). She's become quite a confident little girl!


This is Miss Christine's Reception class. These children are 3-4 years old. I did not teach them but I seemed to have a lot to do with them. Rehan on my lap was always crying in my office because someone had slighted her or "Miss Chrsitine, he doesn't like me," because she wouldn't let Rehan speak or play with a certain toy. Lemeri, in the middle on my right, and I spent many mornings together when he first arrived because he spoke no English, had been left with a relative by his parents, and had not attended school. His transition was quite difficult. Ryan, next to Miss Chrsitine, was just a doll, always polite and smiley. Israel, between the two girls, played with the same green piece of plastic that looks like a steering wheel every break and lunch hour. And Deng, in the suit next to me, was a violent little creature when he arrived but after me picking him up a couple of times and making him stay in the library where he threw a tantrum, he became a well behaved little boy. I even sometimes saw him smile.


Then there is Joshua. He arrived late so I had my photo taken with just him. Two or three times a week he would come into my office and say, "My knee/finger/arm/elbow pains me." He loved the bandaids with all the designs on them. Between the time of him telling me about his pain and me putting the bandaid on, the pain often had moved to another spot!


Miss Erinah's Year 1 class was another group I spent only a little time with. I mostly helped Erinah with the boys' discipline and worked with Tina, on my left, who made it her business to tattle on everything that was happening in the school.


Miss Christine's year 2 class is the group I worked with all year. We did guided reading and Reading A to Z together and when Miss Christine was away, I would TOC in her class. They were lovely and despite having some challenging students, she managed to always be cheerful and they were always calm.


I taught Year 3 English and Geography for second term and I also had the opportunity to teach other lessons with Ms. Rose over the course of the year. Aqeel, back row in the middle, always said to me, "God bless you Miss Erika. You remind me of my Mum." I met his Mum several times and she is a lovely lady. Phiuff!


I taught Year 4 Novel study this term as we all took a piece of the class since Ms. Esther was away on maternity leave and no new teacher was hired. We had a lot of fun giggling through The Twits!


Now year 5 was a group I could have taught all year. They were challenging but full of spunk and incredible creativity. They were always in trouble for lack of discipline but I think they were full of potential. I taught Year 5 and 6 together in term 2 and we read The City of Ember together. The students had great ideas and insight about the novel and asked lots of questions. This last term, these students often came to my office in the morning to shake my hand and say hello. They also came several times a week to take library books. It was great to see them really get hooked on reading!


I didn't get a group photo of the Year 6 class because they wrote Cambridge exams and ended the week before the other classes. I did manage to catch Siem, Manan and Pierrot as they did their Lamda exam. This was another lovely group and their exam results were really positive.

We ended the day with a cake and then everyone went home. It was great because it was disorganized as usual so everyone scattered and disappeared before I was able to do the going away speech that I had been asked to deliver. So much better!




Goodbye KIS! Thank you students for a wonderful year. You were a pleasure to work with and I wish you all the best in the years to come!








  Goodbye Miss Grace! I'll miss you.

No comments: