Saturday, August 8, 2009

Grilled by the African Sun While Eating Grilled Goat by the Nile

Another amazing day yet again today. Would I expect anything less? I don't think so.

We travelled to Jinja, the source of the Nile River. We actually took a little wooden boat (when we asked Robert, our driver, what type of boat it was, he said "motorboat"! :))and went over the bubbles where the Nile rises from within the earth to mix with Lake Victoria and then start its 4000 mile journey up to the Mediterranean Sea. Very cool. Did you know that the ashes of Gandhi are scattered in the Nile? They are! Do you know why? If you do, please let me know. I would have thought he would have been sprinkled in the river Ganges in India.

We visited some falls that were impressive apart from all the mzungu who were white water rafting over them. Made it all too touristy for me. I turned away and watched children fishing down from the falls and white water. Much better for the soul.

After eating a buffet at the Nile Resort (matooke, ground nut sauce, tilapia, grilled beef, chicken and goat, lentils, aubergine masala, rice, salads, soups, tea, coffee, dessert all for 25,000 shillings ($12.50)) and having my shoulders grilled by the sun as we watched the Nile flow by, we went to Welcome Home Orphanage.

I am very proud of myself for not being a blithering mess at the orphanages anymore. I told Karine that my heart must be turning to stone as I was able to play with he children for hours and not cry. There are 70 children at Welcome Home and they all want to be cuddled, played with and read to. Yes, this orphanage actually has books. It was terrific to see the kids all asking to be read to.

So that was my day. We saw beautiful scenery, ate amazing food, met interesting people, and played with cute kids. Not a bad 10 hours eh?! And did I mention that we saw monkeys? Yes, when we were on the Nile, there were monkeys eating by the edge of the water. This country continues to amaze me. It is awe-inspiring.

No comments: