Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fresh Pineapple Cake

Oh, woe is me! The pineapples here are too big for two of us to eat. What a terrible situation to find myself in!!!

Seriously though, the pineapples are large and ripen quickly so when we buy one and Corey prepares it, we always find ourselves with pineapple left that is on the edge of becoming no-longer-palatable. I hate wasting food so I looked for a recipe that used fresh pineapple and also didn't require brown sugar.

Not so easy!

This is a modified recipe that I have made twice now. It called for canned pineapple and brown sugar but I played around and it worked. It's yummy and easy to do. Like the banana cake, the measures are approximate because I use a tea cup and normal spoons for measuring.

Fresh Pineapple Cake

leftover fresh pineapple (although I supposed you could use canned pineapple too)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour (or white but then reduce the amount of milk)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar (again)
3 eggs
5 tbsp pineapple juice (or apple)
1/2 cup milk

Preheat the oven to who knows what. I put my gas oven on low which is still really hot. Put the butter into the rectangular pan and place in the oven to melt while you get the rest done.

In your wok (although I am thinking my rice cooker would make a good bowl too), mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Make a well in the middle and break the three eggs into the well. Beat the eggs with a fork, add the pineapple juice and milk, mix then stir in the dry ingredients around the edges. Don't over mix.

Pull the pan out of the oven, making sure not to set the teatowel on fire because you keep forgetting to buy oven mitts. Spread the melted butter and sprinkle the sugar over the butter. Arrange the pineapple pieces/slices to cover the butter and sugar. Pour the batter on top.

Bake about 30 minutes although I check after 20 and every 5 minutes after that. Because of the pineapple, the cake looks a little weird when it's done (lots of bubbles) but if it tests as done with a skewer or toothpick, take it out and let it cool. Flip it out of the pan.

The Ugandans, who drink so much sugar in their tea that I can feel my teeth dissolving when I accidentally pour from the wrong flask and get the sweetened tea, say that this cake is sweet. The pineapple is sweet, that's for sure, but the cake is not that sweet. I have already halved the amount of sugar from the original recipe.

No comments: