Thursday, July 10, 2014

My Avocado Seedling





Meet my avocado tree. I planted it just before we went to South Africa in February. I started the seed in December in water and thought it needed to be planted before we were away for a week.




I always create a garden or grow plants when we are away for a while; I had several plants in China that I gave to the gate man in Tai Ping Dian when we left (he had a beautiful oasis of plants in his front room) but potted plants here in Uganda seem a bit counter-intuitive. There are many roadside nurseries in Uganda but all the plants are in massive pots or in the garden.




My contribution to the environment here is my avocado. Simba has promised to watch it for me to make sure it's not chopped down.

I tried to grow cluster onions but they started growing i. Rainy season and died the first hot day. Then they started growing again in the next rainy sason but have died again. I think I don't really know how to grow these types of onions. It's not as simple as just pulling them apart and planting them apparently!

I did plant ginger that we have harvested and used for tea. There are still some roots in the soil that are now starting to sprout again.

I planted my poinsettia from Christmas too. No-one knows what it is so hopefully it won't become an invasive species and take over Uganda. I doubt it'll bloom again because there is no colder season.

I wonder if any of it will still be around next year!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: