Friday, July 18, 2014

The Last Post

Tomorrow, I will be electronics free. I have managed to sell my iPhone, my iPad and my computer as all needed to be upgraded anyway at home. Rather than have the items sent to the recycling depot, they are still good and can serve another person quite well.

So this is my last blog post. Thank you to everyone who read it and commented; it was great to get feedback about our experiences here.

What I wanted to end with is a list of "what I won't will miss" and "what I will miss" for you to enjoy.

What I won't miss...
- weevils in my pasta (although one or two make the pasta still edible and they float to the top when they are thrown into boiling water)
- weevils in my popcorn (there is just no way to pick those out)
- Sunday church that shook my walls from 8am-noon each week
- the horny billy goat next door
- the jerk who honked his horn repeatedly and for a long time when his askari took longer than 2.5 seconds to open the gate
- the burning garbage
- ants, cockroaches, flying ants, mosquitoes, and other nasty little bugs
- the mosquito net
- bread that has to be kept in the fridge to prevent it from going moldy
- jams
- the Congolese bar at 3am
- the incessant noise


What I will miss...
- my special friends who have been so wonderful to spend time with this year
- Andrew and Anna who fit into the first category but who also hold a special place in my heart for their dedication to ISEE
- Apollo for his amazing driving, his laugh, his special strut, his political talks
- Edgar for always keeping the compound beautiful
- Simba the wonderdog and Saturday pancakes
- the amazing birds that come to visit
- the beautiful landscape
- passion fruit
- avocado, pineapple, mango, pawpaw and sometimes even jackfruit in small doses
- matooke, posho, boah, dodo, nakati
- going to eat local food with Apollo
- all our ISEE work and the amazing mamas
- my avocado seedling
- my handsome newspaper man
- the people who now recognize us and greet us
- the dvd store
- passionfruit jam and odi
- the tremendous thunderstorms
- the amazing skies, sunrises and sunsets
- learning Lugandan
- the neighbour's friendly wave when I hang out the laundry

But what I will miss most of all is being in Uganda!

The adventure will continue...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: