Monday, July 29, 2013

July 29th Bird Report



I am sure that eventually the rate of new bird sightings will go down but after 4 days, we have spotted 12 new species from our balcony. Two huge highlights – the African Harrier Hawk and a pair of Black-and-White-Casqued Hornbills.

Our Birds of Uganda book says that a birder can see 70% of all the birds in Uganda on a good 16 day birding vacation. That would be 700+ birds. I think they would all blurr together. I quite like our pace of 2-4 new birds a day. Might not see 700 but 23 since July 10 is not too bad, especially as we didn’t do any bird spotting in Gulu!

These photos are all mine unless otherwise mentioned. If I have made a mistake in the names, please let me know! I am using my field guide to identify the birds but some of the smaller birds are harder to see.


Baglafecht Weaver

Cattle Egret

Female Black and White Casqued Hornbill

Male Black and White Casqued Hornbill

Meyer's Brown Parrot

Yellow Fronted Canary

African Harrier Hawk

Laughing Dove

Speckled Pigeon

Red Eyed Dove

African Yellow White-Eye (Wikipedia)

Brown Mannikins
 

Variable Yellow Bellied Sunbird
 


No comments: