Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Welcome to Chez Mzungu

I am not sure if the reality of our year has hit me yet but once we had toured our new home, Corey said, "I could live here forever!" If it was solely based on our accommodation, I would have to agree! Even as I write this, I am sitting on the balcony, enjoying the view from Chez Mzungu. We had a Chez Laowai in China next to our kitchen where we ate our breakfast on little metal chairs at a tiny glass top table but it became our special little corner of the world. The upstairs balcony off our bedroom on Mulamula road is a lovely corner of the world and deserves the name of Chez Mzungu. I am sure we will have many meals and write several emails (when we get wireless) from this spot.








When we got here, we thought we had arrived at the dorms and that the luggage was being unpacked because we were going to stay with the team at the boarding house and then move to our home. We asked if this was a boarding house and the lady laughed when she told us it was our home. This property was acquired within the past few days by Kabojja School and is being converted into a meeting/conference centre with accommodations on the top floor.

We use the kitchen, laundry, and dining room (with the big boardroom table) downstairs but we spend our home time upstairs. There is a huge bedroom with an amazing balcony (Chez Mzungu), full bathroom, dressing room, living room, 2 more bedrooms and another full bathroom for the guests.















Right next door is the school.




The house has a big yard maintained by Endiga (not 100%sure on that one) and his dog Simba keeps us safe during the night.

This was not the original home arranged for us but this one is larger, safer and closer so that no money is spent on transport on a daily basis. It works our really well as the teachers can come to the conference room downstairs for presentations (a SMART board is being installed on one wall) and Sam has said that we can even come for a rest during the day if we want.

Corey will use the kitchen to train the cooking staff. I look forward to seeing him do that there. He will need to get used to the kitchen first before he can even start to plan his cookery lessons!





New large houses are being built all around us and it all feels very grand. It's not what I expected at all. I knew it wouldn't be a mud hut but this is so much more than I thought.

Thank goodness the shower lives up to the Ugandan standard!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a lovely place, I agree. We have spent some time and effort (not to mention money) to get it a little more like what we want. We now have a rice cooker, a wok and a knife, so I think I'm set.

Anonymous said...

I laugh/cried at the shower. I look forward to visiting! Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

I am glad you made it there safe and sound! very good you get to live so close to the school!! As for me, I am trying to enjoy summer vacation but I have a million ideas and school projects on the go..... Hoping to finish it all up next week and relax the rest of the summer.... I hope the students and teachers enjoyed all the letters and gifts you have for them